‘Tis the season to do some work health and safety housekeeping
The holiday season, leading in to the new year, is an ideal time for workplace ‘housekeeping’.
It’s a great time to review work health and safety (WHS) – for your business, your employees, and your clients or customers.
Here’s a few things to consider getting in order during the ‘quieter’ times of business:
Get your workspace ready
Whether your business is closing over the holiday period, or open as usual, the period over the Christmas and New Year is a great time to do some ‘clean up’ of office and workspaces.
It’s a great opportunity to get your workspace in order:
- File or recycle paperwork, prepare items for archival and storage
- Clear workspaces, desks and shelving of unnecessary items
- Prepare desk space for easy access of the daily items you need, ensure your computer is adjusted, chair is adjusted
- Ensure floorspace is clear from boxes, paperwork, other items that may affect access and safety
External and internal walkways and access
Slips, trips and falls are common causes of workplace incidents – internally and externally. The quieter period provides a great opportunity to do a ‘walk around’ of your business to identify and remediate any potential hazards:
- Review access and egress points around your workplace to ensure they are clear, and free from obstacles
- Ensure car parks and exterior walkways are clearly marked – it’s a good time to update line markings and other safety signage
- Repair or replace carpet flooring or hard surfaces that are uneven, buckling, peeling or curled
Equipment and appliances
Undertake checks and reviews of all of your equipment and appliances.
- Perform the necessary electrical testing and update tags
- Get equipment and machinery serviced
- Ensure appliance and equipment service records are maintained and up to date
Assess your fire systems and fire safety equipment and procedures.
- Check access to your fire-fighting equipment to ensure there are no obstructions. A one metre exclusion zone around equipment is required
- Check paperwork and compliance records to ensure that fire-fighting equipment is within test date
If you have vehicle movement on your premises – such as cars, trucks or forklifts – review your traffic management plan to ensure that it mitigates the risk associated with people and vehicle moving within the same space.
Site cleaning and upkeep
The holiday season, or quieter business periods are a great time to undertake general maintenance and upkeep of your work site:
- Clean interior or exterior walls
- Give your business a refresh and undertake any painting works – for maintenance or general refresh
- Remove any build up of dust and dirt throughout the internal or external areas
Documentation and signage
Ensure your signage or documentation is up to date for:
- Work health and safety policies and procedures
- Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS)
- Quality assurance and compliance procedures
- Safety signage
Learn more about your WHS obligations
Start the new year off on the right foot, and get your business in order. Now’s the time.
For more information on work health and safety for your business, or to book a Complimentary Consultation, get in touch with the team from Masula Compliance on 07 3348 3666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org